Sunday, August 31, 2008

Whoever you are, wherever you go, you are being watched

When I decided to be an entrepreneur, I thought it was really cool to wear shorts all day, not shower and all that other college-y crap that was cool. It was the best of both worlds; be comfortable and creative or dress-up for meetings with another. 

A short time after, (like 2 weeks) I needed to make a change. My attitude and work ethic was representative of my wardrobe. If I dressed like a slob, my work suffered. So I changed. 

But what about your day off? I went to lunch today with a good friend of mine and ran into an old business acquaintance and friend. Now, this old friend was actully somebody that I tremendously respect and was excited to see him. I hadn't gotten a chance to reach out to him since moving back to town. He was excited to hear about The R Companies and all the great things I am doing and we agreed to meet for drinks later. 

When I sat down at lunch and it registered what I was wearing. A t-shirt, torn jeans, and bright green shoes.  I found myself in a state of disappointment. I portrayed the part of a slob instead of a successful entrepreneur. Great work self. 

Have you ever been caught off-guard at the grocery store by running into somebody and wish you would have looked better? I remember one time that I was at a department store with a new girl a few weeks after breaking-up with a girlfriend. While I mentally had given up on the relationship a while ago, it made me look really bad and I felt awful. (Don't analyze me, its in the past.) The important thing to remember is that regardless of who you are, no matter what size town you live in, you can and will run into someone, anywhere. Keep yourself in check at all times. I'm not saying don't have fun, but know when and where to let your total guard down. 

So while my friend may have left without a thought in his brain about me or what I was wearing, he surely didn't leave being impressed at who I have worked so hard to become. To me that's failure. I want every encounter with another to dictate more than just words. I want there to be an immediate sense of trust, respect, admiration and a certain degree of success oozing from my persona. I want my brand to carry through not only during the hours that I am working, but after as well.