Friday, October 31, 2008

Gen Y: Add Value, Grow Fast

One of the greatest gifts our generation has been given is our ambition and the unlimited potential for success. One of the lessons I feel some of us have missed is that you need to add value first before you can reap the rewards. Here's an example.  

In my past, I went to work for a start-up theme park. I was hired as a sales guy, but knew that I really wanted to do marketing for the park. I hate sales. Truly hate it but I did it until I could show the CEO a little something I could do in the marketing world. I knew with this certain CEO that the only way for me to become the marketing director would be for me to produce big sales numbers while offering marketing input when I could. I added value to the company first and eventually was given the responsibilities of marketing at the park. 

If I would have just tried to become the marketing director from the get-go, I wouldn't have made it to my goal. I learned that if one creates value for an organization, growth occurs on two levels. First, the person grows personally adding all the valuable lessons obtained creating value. Second, employers reward those that make positive changes to the organization. This may mean more money in your pocket or a greater position in time. 

What I'm saying is that you must add value to the company for you to grow. The more value you add to the company, the faster you grow. It's really that simple. Put your company first and you will be destined to grow. 

If not, get out. The place isn't progressive enough for you. It happens. Don't let it. Different topic all together.