Thursday, October 16, 2008

Generation Y are not "Brats!"


Generation Y has been called a lot of things in the past. Sometimes we are called ambitious, self-confident, mentor-driven, open, and contradictory. However, in a presentation on Generation Y that I gave today, we were called something completely different and unique. "Brats" was the word I believed he used. 

Now, of course I defended Generation Y and came up with all the different ways how as an awesome generation we are in fact effective and productive. The gentleman (a Boomer) was not having it. He protested that all the traits I was describing made us Brats and would not let it go.

Generation Y are not "Brats." 
Listen. Ambition is amazing anyway you look at it. I feel that Generation Y is more open, honest and willing to learn than any other generation out there. As a matter of fact, many feel that way. What we do get a bad rap for are a few areas in which we differ. 

Hard Work
It's funny to me that older generations don't think we work hard. The bottom line is that we are all trying to bust our butt to be productive and make a mark on this world. Whereas Boomers and Xers want to work hard within the certain businesses that they call a job, Yers want to help out their business, but also be involved elsewhere in the community. Work to us is all things within and outside or our profession. Do you think that I am involved with all the extra organization and clubs because I want to fill up free time? No. I'm interested in growing and helping. I'm interested in causes. I'm interested in more than just my job. 

Communication
We've been handed a lot of opportunity as Generation Y. That's a great thing. Due to our ambition, we need guidance to start projects and find out how we are being evaluated. We need to open the communication lines with our supervisors. One thing that reverbed in my brain from today's discussion is that Boomers and Xers don't want to talk to us. They have been told to figure it out and they fully expect us to. What fun is that? I want to figure out a problem all right, but what good is it for me to figure out the wrong way to do something that's already been don't wrong? One gentleman asked if Generation Y had to invent the light bulb like Edison, could we do it. I told him absolutely, and we'd probably do it faster due to the fact that we'd team up, but also ask for help. Not to discredit Edison, we didn't hang, but the point I am trying to make is that if I am asked to solve something, I want to know all the previous approaches to trying to make it work FIRST. Then I'll bust it to figure it out. 

I told the gentleman that no, Generation Y are not "Brats." We are not challenged enough at times and that makes us uneasy and unproductive. My kindergarden teacher tried to start this doubt in me. She wanted to put me on some A.D.D. meds because I was disruptive and being a "Brat" in class. Once she challenged me, gave me some clear goals (now I decide them myself of course) I was back on track. I was applied. I was doing something. 

I encourage Generation Y to begin talking to your managers more. Open those lines of communication. You don't know if you can take on more if you don't ask. They won't know if you need more help if you don't tell them.